Wednesday 6 November 2013

Tom Frankland and Keir Cooper in association with Ultimo Comboio production of Don Quijote. MacDevitts Studio, Reading 6th November 2013

This is a very clever, very funny and very inspiring production. I’d like to describe to you the experience of being an audience member for Don Quijote but I know I wouldn't do it justice and I wouldn't want to spoil the experience by giving you any pre-conceptions. I will say that it starts with the audience all seated on red cushions on the floor, which reminded me strongly of being a child at school listening to teacher read out a story. This feeling of being like a child, which is not only a more receptive state for being immersed in the fantastic stories of the book but also, I imagined, was related to Don Quijote style thinking, recurs several times during the show. It isn't the only recurring theme I noticed and I am certain I will have missed many too.

The players employ many different performance techniques such as puppetry and dance, sometimes to make us laugh, sometimes to make us gasp in wonder. The many interconnected layers of this show will keep me pondering on it for some time. All of the excellent performers had a natural, easy manner which I think served them very well for setting up a lot of misdirection. One could say that this was a show about Don Quijote. You could also say this show was Don Quijote. I think it was both, simultaneously, in parallel and yet also intertwined.

The only criticism I can offer (and I am hesitant to do so because I now wonder if I have missed the reason why it was done the way that it was) is that I’m sure they could have evened things up with some modern female Don Quijotes. If that comment intrigues you then go and see this show tonight. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed to have spent your evening in the company of several wonderful Don Quijotes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment