Wednesday 6 November 2013

South Street's production of Jackson’s Corner by Cassie Friend and Benedict Sandiford. Jackson’s Corner, Reading 5th November 2013

We were instructed to gather just off the King’s Road a little way from the titular Jackson’s Corner. Once we had all assembled, we were led like a gaggle of tourists to our destination. Somewhat apprehensively I waited with the others outside the main entrance to this landmark building in the centre of Reading. A man in a sharp suit came bounding up to us, making excuses for being late and led the way inside. We were to believe that this man was an estate agent and we the prospective buyers when the business closes its doors for the final time this winter after 138 years.

Our estate agent took us on a tour of the premises, from haberdashery to hosiery, all the while assuming new personas. We were initially entertained by the knitting department gossip, before being welcomed to the brand new store by the original Jackson and taken on a nostalgic whistle-stop tour through the shops history by the Gentleman’s tailor. Despite the competent performance of Benedict Sandiford (who embodied the different characters with charm) and some clever, very strong images, I was left trying to figure out the point of this show. As someone with no ties nor nostalgic memories attached to the shop I have to say I didn't get the impression I was missing anything. Other than the pneumatic payment tubes still operational, I’m still wondering what makes Jackson’s unique from all the other family run outfitting businesses up and down the country.

This show would have benefited from more of the real stories of people who have trod those well-worn shop floors either as customers or behind the counter. I am sure many exciting things must have happened there in all that time and I think this production missed a trick by not telling me at least one of them. However, if you have your own memories, of buying school uniforms for your children’s first day at school for example, or you just want a last look at the pneumatic tubes then I encourage you to get a ticket for the Christmas shows before the doors really do close for good.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice review and coming to the show. However, I would like to comment on your assertion that their were no real stories in the show! The show is full of actual stories of the people who have worked at Jackson's through the years. I won't list them here as I would not like to spoil it for others, but almost every story told and name dropped was researched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, thanks for your comment and for reading my review. I don't believe I make that assertion. I said that I would have liked more of the real stories not that there weren't any at all. It was evident throughout that the show was very well researched and I especially enjoyed the lady in knitting. However, I stand by my comment that more of these real stories tied together with a strong through-line would have helped produce a stronger show.

    ReplyDelete